Saturday 10 February 2018

Buy Nothing New Challenge - Update 1

Buy Nothing New Challenge frugal minimalist

10 days in, and it's time for Update 1 on my Buy Nothing New Challenge for February and March 2018.

I'm glad to report that things started out quite well.  I had an early success last Friday, when I went to the supermarket to get some things in for tea.  I usually stop by the magazine aisle, especially at the start the month, when the new editions come out. 

So there I was, as usual, having a look at the shiny new magazines.  I was about to choose one when I remembered my challenge - buy nothing new, which clearly precludes new magazines.  I have a bit of a magazine habit, but I managed to step away from that aisle empty-handed.  Go me!

So far so good, but it was not to last.  The next day (Saturday 3rd), I went back to the supermarket.  I was making a sweet potato, spinach and cashew nut curry, and I had everything in except the sweet potato.  Now, sweet potatoes fall within the rules of the challenge, but fresh flowers do not.  Yes, by day three, I'd failed. 

On my trip to get a single vegetable, I also bought a little bunch of yellow gerberas and a little bunch of freesias.  The thing is, I'd completely forgotten about the challenge at that moment.  I saw the flowers, thought they were gorgeous, and stuck them in the basket.  I didn't even realise what I'd done until the next morning.  I was sitting in my kitchen waiting for the coffee to brew, looking at the flowers, and eventually it came to me that they broke the rules of the challenge.  Only three days in!!  Aghhhhh....!

At this point, I just want to say that, whilst I am taking my challenge seriously, it's also meant to be a light-hearted one.  Hopefully even fun!  So I was a bit miffed with myself, but I'm not going to beat myself up about one little slip.  Well, not too severely, anyway. 

Since then, I've stuck to the challenge.  This week, I've bought only food and drink, and replaced an empty deodorant (I don't think I mentioned it in the rules, but basic toiletries are allowed as required.)

And I have enjoyed the flowers - here they are:

Buy Nothing new challenge frigal minimalist
 
Next update coming soon!

2 comments:

  1. Are you a member of your local library? Mine subscribes to loads of online magazines you can download to your phone/tablet/computer for free, it's not quite the same as a nice shiny magazine but it's free!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am, but I rarely go, because I buy a lot of my books second hand, or get them from my mum. That's a great suggestion, thanks - no, it wouldn't be exactly the same, but I'll be sure to check it out! :)

      Delete

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS