Thursday 1 February 2018

My 'Buy Nothing New' challenge for February and March


It would be fantastic to do a whole no-spend year, but I know for a fact that I don't have what it takes.  I love reading about other people's no-spend challenges, though, it's seriously addictive.  But because I'm such a light-weight, I've decided to kick off with a two-month 'Buy Nothing New' challenge. 

If it isn't a total disaster, I'll tackle a longer spell in the future. It's important to pace yourself, after all.

My partner's birthday comes up in April and I'm not mean enough not to get him a present, so that conveniently leaves February and March.  A challenge is not a challenge without rules, so here are mine:
 

For February and March 2018, I will:
  • buy groceries and household necessities
  • pay all the regular household bills
  • pay the usual travel costs
  • buy our usual Saturday paper (we've been getting the paper for years, it would be strange to do without it)
  • allow for our usual trip to the local pub on Saturday evenings (this is really the only time we pay money to go out, so again, it seems a bit restrictive to give it up)

For February and March 2018, barring disaster, I will not:
  • buy anything new for myself or for the house.

If I need, or more accurately, want anything, I'll see if I can find a good alternative to buying new.  This challenge is partly about saving a bit of money, but also about being a bit more creative and thoughtful with the stuff I already have.  Of which there is plenty...

At the moment, the challenge doesn't feel like Mission Impossible, but I guess we'll soon find out. 

I wish me luck!

http://www.annanuttall.com/anna-nuttall-bloggers-links-73/

2 comments:

  1. What a great challenge! I'll be interested to hear how you get on :-) I don't think that I could manage a no spend year either, this sounds much more achievable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Rachel, thanks for stopping by. I will be posting regularly about my progress - although 2 months isn't long, I just have this feeling it won't be as easy as I think!

      Delete

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS